Sunday 1 December 2013

Subaru EA81 flat four 1800cc

Subaru ea 81



Sat 30 nov 2013
Subaru EA81 flat four 1800cc

The engine is an unknown quantity. I have no history of this engine or the year, I think it came from a brat pickup.

The engine is currently mounted on my engine stand for work purposes - a great pice of kit - it allows me complete access as I can turn the engine round to any angle to work on it. 
The engine is not looking good. I put a spanner on the crank to see how it would turn and oops! It didn't MMMM! Only one thing for it, get the plugs out and have a look, YUCK! I've never seen anything so bad! - one of the plugs was completely rusted up, so I had to take the cylinder heads off - this is a straightforward job, and everything went well. The two rear cylinders were sitting with water in, and obviously had been for some time, this has resulted in a buildup of rust in the barrels. I have soaked them with engine degreaser, then cleaned them out. I gave them a bit of a rub with some polish, which has helped, so I'm thinking I might get away with some light honing?  Still got the jury out on that one!

The heads
I don't think they're as bad as the look; I might get away with cleaning and re-seating the valves.


very rusty spark plug
cylinder head / right





cylinder bore / right
cylinder bore / left

No comments:

Post a Comment